October 1, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
Will Truran owner of Noble Folk Design and DM of Dungeons & Designers
- What motivated you to become a maker?
O man... I feel like I’ve been “making” since I was given LEGO’s as a child or as my brother and I played in the woods making forts and endless stories. Both my parents were artists in their own rights which I am sure gave me permission to pursue it in my adulthood.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Never wait for it to be perfect to share it, include your friends, and help others as much as you can because their success is also your success.
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
I ran a clothing brand for a decade called Dead Flesh Co. It taught me to put my voice in my work and allowed me to donate money to non profits I truly love, like Solid Foundation and New City Kids (both out of NJ and both helping kids get ahead in life).
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
I am currently getting my MFA so that I can transition into teaching full time to help equip young adults to become makers for themselves.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
Y’all know this is an impossible question right? There are so many amazingly talented people who continually inspire me and would be a total dream to work with. Tolkien changed my life with Lord of the Rings, so getting the chance to work on a book with him would be pretty awesome.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
What did I do to get here!?! Maybe mom’s chicken parm. That’s always the best option.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
My hard drives for sure. I don’t have ‘stuff’ I deeply care about but an old mentor gave me a German Shepard skull that I would also grab I think.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
The original Star Wars trilogy (is that three things?). It will forever be the best trilogy (sorry LOTR) and a series I will always be stoked to sit down and marathon.
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
The Return Of The King has the highest body count of any movie with 836 deaths.
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
I originally wanted to be an architect, so that would be pretty sweet.
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
I don’t know. I use it inconsistently and often find myself hating the majority of what’s happening on most platforms. I’ve been trying to share work I loved making and that I feel could benefit someone from seeing... that being said since covid I have barely shared anything outside my podcast.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?
@noblefolkdesign & @dndesignerspod on twitter and instagram