September 4, 2020
Shauna Lynn Panczyszyn
- What is your name / organization / title?
Shauna Lynn Panczyszyn - Illustrator
- What motivated you to become a maker?
I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil, and found graphic design in high school, but always wanted to be an illustrator. Getting fired from a design job lit the fire to make illustration work.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Don't focus on others' journey, you have an amazing one coming, just be patient.
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
I'm not sure I have a specific favorite, but I am very proud of a Haunted Mansion fan art piece I did for a D23 gallery contest. I love Disney, I LOVE Haunted Mansion, combine the two and I'm a happy panda.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
I'm moving into a mix of lettering and illustration focused in the children's book realm. I'm currently looking for an agent in kid lit and am working on my first children's book. :)
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
Mary Blair, something for Disney hands down. Maybe a mural on a Disney property.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
Sushi. A lot of it.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
I've had this happen! Though my studio wasn't on fire thankfully, my apartment building was smoking and we didn't know if there was a fire. I grabbed in order: dog, phone, keys, shoes. Forgot purse, but I'll remember if there's a next time. All of my work is on Dropbox so it's safe. Most things I can replace, albeit expensively, but there is one book in particular I would have to grab: My 1920's vintage copy of Studio Welo Lettering Handbook. Other than that, I'd try to grab a few other vintage books I have. I'd also grab my ice skates because those cost more than my life.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
The Devil Wears Prada
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
Al Capone’s business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
Professional figure skater or a performer on Broadway.
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
Make the things you want to see in the world and share them. Don't focus on the likes.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?
instagram.com/shaunaparmesan, shaunalynn.com, twitter.com/shaunaparmesan