July 30, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
Shaun Kreider / Philadelphia Union, KreiderDesigns / Senior Creative Manager, Artist-Illustrator-Designer
- What motivated you to become a maker?
For my career: I saw a very hard future ahead of my on the path I was on which was journalism. Print media was dying, I was having a lot of fun making flyers and t-shirts for the college I was attending and I was essentially offered a position as a designer before graduating and even having to look around.
For my side hustle: I got tired of just consuming everything and decided that I needed to start being an artist again. At the time when I ramped up my production and output I was really unfulfilled in my day job.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
You don't suck. Ok, you might suck, but there will be a point when you don't, and guess what? You're still going to think you suck. The good news is though, there are people out there that already think you don't suck, and there will be more and more and more. SO PRACTICE MORE YA LAZY BABY!
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
It changes daily! Haha.
Day job: Right now I think what I'm most proud of and the thing that still inspires me when I think about it is all the work I did to bring Phang (the Philadelphia Union's mascot) to life.
Side hustle: Toss up between an Inktober drawing of Prince John from Disney's Robin Hood, and this digital TMNT print that I'm finishing up right now.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
Day job: Maybe pivoting my focus to branding work. Possibly, one day down the road, becoming a character designer somewhere.
Side hustle: Creating more and more and more and selling more and more and more. I want to do another series or two of pins and get some commissions. Possibly, one day, paying the bills with art instead of design.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
I'd work with Dan Scanlon or Pete Doctor or Lee Unkrich on a Pixar film, designing characters and worlds and help a bit with the story.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
Two Friendly's grilled cheese sandwiches, a side of fries from the Springfield diner, a side of curly fries, and a 6-piece chicken McNuggets with a brownie brookie cookie sundae thing from the place in Universal City Walk Orlando...I forget what it's called. Dessert Emporium or something?
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
My cheese grater that my best man got me for my wedding (Inside joke, watch SportsNight for reference), and my Hipster Mickey vinyl? THIS QUESTION IS SO HARD!!
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
In the 2014 River Cup game, an annual charity match played by the Philadelphia Union front office staff and the Sons of Ben, the game winning penalty kick was taken by Mark Evans.
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
Promote yourself the best you can without annoying anyone by posting too much or making everything about selling a product.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?