August 14, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
- What motivated you to become a maker?
A deep sense of satisfaction from making and growing up with a parent who showed us what is possible.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Invest in more, earlier
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
My kids. Jk. Probably this random set of plates and bowls from ceramics in college. I have such a higher appreciation for things that are hand made now that I’ve been working as a professional digital designer for nearly 10 years.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
The future of digital design is more systems and automation.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
I want to work with Charles and Ray Eames on a space. Or even just a chair.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
Probably the soup wontons from XLB and donuts from Pips and a tall cold beer.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
My computer, my headphones, and probably my old sketchbooks.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
The bananas that we eat today are a breed called Cavendish. Supposedly, our grandparents ate Gros Michel and they have since gone extinct. They were supposed to be much more delicious and have an amazing texture than we know today.
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
I have one account for professional and one account for personal that is closed.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?
Everywhere @russpate. Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Dribbble