July 28, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
- What motivated you to become a maker?
With my peg doll art, I was heavily influenced by my favorite childhood toy, Fisher Price Little People and my favorite Disneyland attraction, “It’s a Small World.”
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Sketch out designs first!!! Only now have I gotten into the habit of sketching every design out instead of just diving in and starting to build. It has saved me so much time and I am able to get more done now.
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
My Small World toy theater. I am originally a puppeteer. I started using my little theater to show my work for sale. Now that I have grown an audience, I am excited to use my toy theater for its original purpose and perform a full length puppet show using my peg dolls as the puppet players.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
I have quite a lot of original stories and characters that I would like to introduce to my IG family. I would like to pursue those stories into published works.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
Easy...Mary Blair. I would want to create a Small World style puppet show with her in the style of the marionette stage performance featured in The Sound of Music...and sing with Julie Andrews.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
Morbidly, I think about this question too much. I often will think maybe lobster or crab legs, but it always goes back to my favorite food, the Cheeseburger.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
My vintage Disney plush of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pooh from my first trip to Disneyland when I was 3 years old.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
Well I watch the movie, Jumanji, with the Rock every day
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
The honeybee can be artificially inseminated. I just learned that yesterday. How does that even work? Do you show them a movie first? Give them a tiny jar? I’m thinking, “The Bee Movie”
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
Always wanted to be a mail carrier
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
Post one video or photo every day. Make it pretty. Be honest with myself. Show my passion.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?
@nikoleadelle on Instagram only