August 26, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
Nate Bear / illustrator / co-owner at Blind Heart Co
- What motivated you to become a maker?
I woke up and there was a hole so a made something to fill the space.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Stop fucking around and get to the thing!
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
I think it might still be the arcade cabinet flipbookit i made for the site at Grumpybert. It was a great way to combine some of my favorite disciplines: animation, crafting, illustration... stickers. There was a lot of problem solving involved in making the whole thing work so it was really satisfying to see it come together.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
VR for dogs. Once we realize the futility in entertaining humans we will shift focus on making dogs as happy as possible.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
Holographic David Bowie. Just imagine the stagecraft we could achieve when we're not bound by the 4th dimension.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
Whatever takes longest to prepare. Hand the guard a a cherry seed and say, I will have a cherry pie made from the fruit of this tree.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
I would probably grab the portfolio full of analog drawings my wife and i had made in school. Everything else is already on the cloud. I'll let insurance cover a new iPad and laptop.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
That's tough but I'll say Kiki's delivery service because I always wanted to live in the city they created for the movie. So idyllic, aside from zeppelin accidents.
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
Because the character is known only as King Koopa in Japan, Nintendo had to add calorie to explain why Bowser fight with CEO Doug Bowser in the E3 video.
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
Baker. Because bread.
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
Make cool stuff and post it when people are looking. How you get lucky.
- Make cool stuff and post it when people are looking. How you get lucky.
Insta @bearbrains, @natebear on twitter, @natebearbrains on tik tok