August 5, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
Mariana Koontz / land + world / graphic designer + illustrator
- What motivated you to become a maker?
I wanted to be a part of the Disney art community because, well, I’m a big Disney nerd.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Take your time, pay attention and draw every day. Also think BIG.
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
I don't have a favorite because it changes all the time. What I love today, I will rip to pieces tomorrow. What I didn't finish, I'll try to work on it some more. Mostly the pieces where I feel I've combined the colors just right make me the happiest.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
My this-would-be-so-cool moment would be being in an exhibit next to a bunch of illustrators and designers I admire. Illustrating a children's book is also on my list.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
Luke Flowers or Joey Chou. But not to work with them. (Hell no, that’s way too intimidating). Just to watch them work... in the least creepy way possible.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
Disneyland churro, Mickey waffles, breakfast tacos, dole whip, Mickey ice cream bar and then another churro.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
Sketchbook, iPad, art books and colored pencils in one swoop.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
Alice in Wonderland and all the characters and elements from that movie.
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
My right thumb is missing a knuckle. TA DA!!
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
Acting. I practiced Colgate commercials in the bathroom mirror when I was a little girl so obviously my choice would be acting.
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
Be genuinely kind to people and to yourself.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?
@landandworld on the gram