July 24, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
Kevin M Wilson/Ape Meets Girl
- What motivated you to become a maker?
An overly curious imagination as a kid, and wanting to realize and record some of those thoughts and ideas
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
After graduation the industry was extremely difficult to enter. In time the internet changed that, so my career really took off pretty late. So I guess the only advice I’d give myself is to hang in there, change is coming
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
My favourite is probably my Muppet Show piece, as it was a total passion project, essentially made for myself, so I was really happy to see it received so positively. But I’m probably most proud of my 10 Cloverfield Lane poster. It was quite an honour to be approached my Bad Robot and JJ Abrams to do that.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
For me personally I’m working on some vinyl covers right now, which is new for me
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
Jim Henson and Frank Oz. They had a concept for a movie called The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made’. The concept was that Gonzo was given creative control of the movie and he blew the budget on the big opening scene, so they have to make the rest of the movie on a shoestring. I would have loved to work with them on key art for that.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
Oysters, Filet Mignon, mash potatoes, creamed spinach, thick cut bacon and an Omar Bradley (cocktail) from Keens Chophouse, NY.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
The handwritten thank you note I received from JJ Abrams, and I’ll take a second to backup all my Photoshop settings
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
I haven’t had opportunity to work on it much, but I’d have to say Jurassic Park
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
The Crane Fly contains one of the most deadly venoms on earth, but has no means to administer it
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
I don’t use it enough. I see some people do social media to death, and it makes me cringe. I’m the opposite end of the scale. There is a happy medium but I’m yet to find it. But my philosophy is to always remain humble. There’s nothing worse than seeing boastful or self indulgent posts from others.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?
@apemeetsgirl pretty much everywhere