August 12, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
Chris Lee / The Beast Is Back
- What motivated you to become a maker?
The love of the process of turning an idea into something tangible.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Be prepared to work harder than you think you'll have to.
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
I've really enjoyed all the sculptural side projects I've completed. I'm particularly fond of the wooden whale. This project had a lot of hiccups which required extra elbow grease, but it was the first project that really let me play in all the arenas that interest me: character design, model making, and package design.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
I think the pandemic really has changed everything. Everyone's situation is unique and the subtle (or major tweaks) to their career path will have be addressed based on what they need for themselves in this ever-changing world. I honestly don't know what's going to come next, but I'm just trying to stay the course.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
I really would love to brand an independently owned cafe or burger shop.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
Nachos with the works.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
My external hard drives.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
A giant squid's eye is the size of a dinner plate.
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
A marine biologist working at an aquarium.
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
I don't really have one. I just post when I have something fun to share.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?
@thebeastisback on Instagram and @thebeast_isback on Twitter.