August 25, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
Anna Clark / Pretend Friends
- What motivated you to become a maker?
Not sure it was really one thing. I’ve always gravitated towards being creative and making things with my hands.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Just start. You’ll figure it out as you go along.
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
Probably our first published children’s book. It was always something we wanted to work on and it’s exciting to be on people’s bookshelves.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
I never know what’s next but that’s what makes it fun. I’m just focused on making new things for Pretend Friends, whether that’s personal projects like the Tiki Birds or working with new clients.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
I would love to watch Mary Blair work. I would probably just hand her paintbrushes or something.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
My aunt’s coconut cream pie.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
Boring answer but probably my hard drive.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
It’s a small world. No matter how many times I’ve been on it I’m always discovering new details, color combinations, and patterns.
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
Alfred Hitchcock didn’t have a bellybutton.
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
Not much of a strategy. We just post somewhat often and when we have something fun to share.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?