July 31, 2020
- What is your name / organization / title?
Samara (Sam) Barks/ Mixed Hues/ Owner and artist
- What motivated you to become a maker?
I've always been one. I was raised in a creative household. My mother is an artist. She not only encouraged my art, but she taught me how to sew and craft just about anything.
- Looking back on the early stages of your journey, what advice would you give yourself now?
Keep practicing and concentrate only a couple things at a time. Learn to master 1-2 things before picking up something new.
- What is your favorite thing you’ve ever made? Why?
I have no idea! I've made so many things, I can't pinpoint just one.
- What’s the next evolution for you (or your industry) going to look like?
Who knows! I work in so many different mediums as a multidisciplinary artist.
- Who would you partner with (living or dead) for your dream collaboration? And what would you work on together?
Ernie Barnes. I'd love to work on a wall-sized painting with him.
- You're on death row and it's time for your final meal. What'll ya have?
A tub full of macaroni and cheese.
- In a world where you have two hands, all of your pets and loved ones are safe, and your studio is on fire, what do you try to save?
My wacom, and my stack of sketchbooks. I can replace the tools, but I cherish my work.
- What is one piece of pop culture (movie, tv, artwork, song, etc.) that no matter how many times you return to it you still draw excitement, movement, or inspiration?
Nightmare Before Christmas
- I love useless facts. Impress me with a seriously useless fact!
Ants farm aphids to produce food for them.
- If you could try any profession other than your own, what would you choose to do?
Landscaper or farmer
- What is your personal strategy/philosophy when it comes to using social media for your work?
I post when I have something to say or share. I know a lot of social media experts say post every day to be relevant and seen, but I just can't post for posting's sake. I post when I feel I have something to share.
- Speaking of social media, where can people find you?